Thursday, October 15, 2009

Butter Make Everything Better

Okay, Okay yes I am still feeding my family, but here's what has happened since the last time we talked. We had planned a trip to Atlanta and then a long weekend with the family; so from October 1 till now we ate all the food that was going to expire, and stretched all the groceries from September through the first week of October till our trip. The food that I concocted during those weeks was kind of scary and not fit to even tell you about, but it was definately the "pennyless" way and then some Taco Bell $.89 tacos as well. Now I am finally back in the kitchen!
After grocery shopping at the esteemed, brand new Super Target (they have whole wheat pasta for a buck)we now have a fully stocked fridge and pantry. Tonight I stuck to another simple pasta dish, which was at tribute to Julia because of the key ingredient, and a thank you to Rachael Ray for the sauce. Pasta is such an incredibly affordable dish and it will continue to show up on The Pennyless Cook. Not only does it cost a couple of dollars for an entire dinner it actually can be easily eaten for two meals and is extremely filling, and can be quite nutritious.
Tonight was Angel hair pasta in a brown butter sauce with roasted vegetables. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter (sounds like a lot but it's for a pound of pasta) on low to medium heat with 2 teaspoons of salt. Keep a close eye on the butter, stirring for about 5 minutes until it browns. Be sure not to burn the butter I overcooked the sauce myself just a bit. Then add 1 teaspoon of fresh sage chopped. Any herb would be good here I used thyme. When butter has browned add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream, which I replace with whole milk and take immediately off the heat. Toss in pasta until sauce is absorbed and add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. We ate with a side of roasted red peppers, carrots, and artichokes tossed in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt and pepper. This dish was divine! I wanted sit on the couch in my sweat pants with the entire pot of pasta, a fork, and a spoon in my lap! My son though, didn't ask for seconds....he asked for thirds! Julia would have been so proud!

No comments: