Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Soupy Kind of Day

This recent weather has inspired me to take out my soup pot and start simmering. Fall finally seems like it's arriving. My air-conditioning has been turned off and windows have been pushed open. Cool, fresh air has blown in and leaves are beginning to fall causing branches to be exposed in all of their nakedness (hehehe I know I'm immature). 
Another season is making an entrance.
I love soup and for some reason with this pregnancy it has heightened my taste buds to want soup that much more, but with the hot weather I just haven't been able to stomach it too often. Today because I have been in my WKU sweats and snuggled up in my Slanket (yes, I have a purple one and I am not ashamed of it); soup is what would be the perfect finish to this day. 
I can't wait for you to try this on a day when you're all comfy in your sweats or maybe even when you come home exhausted wearing your power suit. 
My dear friend April introduced me to a version of this soup and I hope you share this version with your friends.

Taco Soup

Ingredients:
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pound ground turkey, browned
1 red onion, roughly chopped
1 small bag frozen lima beans
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can light red kidney beans
2 cans Rotel, original
2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp oregano
1 pinch red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1-2 cups water

Toppings:
tortilla chips
sour cream
shredded cheese

Directions:
Add oil to a large, soup pot on medium heat. Add onions, cumin, oregano, and hot pepper flakes. Cook until onions are caramelized. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Then turn down to a simmer for 30 minutes to an hour. Mmmmm I can smell it cooking now. Serve in a soup bowl and top with broken tortilla chips, cheese of your choice, and a dollop of sour cream.

Caramelize the onions and add all the spices.
Sorry for the eery darkness; my stove light is burnt out.

Brown the meat.


Add all the beans.


Add water and bring to a boil. Then cover and simmer till it is spoon worthy.

Top with tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream.
Mmmmm I love this simple, yet satisfying soup!
And not to mention it's "pennyless"!


No comments: