Friday, September 10, 2010

Red Peppers 10 for 10

My dear friends Nina and Bonnie let me in on a little secret.....red peppers are 10 for 10 at Kroger this week. For those that need help in the math department like me that's $1 a piece; something worth getting excited about! I know it's not much of a secret, but it was to me since I missed that ad this week. Plus, I have this simple and extremely healthy recipe for red pepper soup, that even my 3 year old keeps asking me to make. Red peppers are usually so expensive, but not today. Enjoy.....

Roasted Red Pepper Soup*

1/4 cup, raw cashews soaked 1-2 hours in water (this surprisingly adds so much creaminess and richness without the fat)
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon
black pepper to taste
3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon agave nectar (couldn't find agave nectar so substituted mango nectar which worked just as well)
1 pinch cayenne
1 pinch red chili flakes
1 cup roasted red bell peppers 1 cup
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large basil leaf chopped (dried worked fine; sprinkle quite a bit to garnish with)

Blend all ingredients, except basil, in a blender until smooth. Heat mixture in a saucepan until just warmed. Garnish with chopped basil.

How to roast red peppers: Halve and seed two red peppers, brush with olive oil and place under a broiler for 5-7 mins, until skin is slightly blackened. Use a sharp knife to remove skin that is blackened. This recipe only makes 2 servings; I usually double it.

*Taken from "The 3-Day Cleanse" by Zoe Sakoutis & Erica Huss

No comments: