Monday, April 30, 2012

Egg Head

With April almost behind us, so is the sale of eggs, I would imagine. I don't have the stats on egg sales, but I am sure they were up last month thanks to Easter egg hunts. This month eggs probably have some catching up to do. Anyway, I am still buying eggs, just like most of you; since it's a staple. Eggs are cooked in so many forms. Scrambled, fried, over-medium, poached, sunny-side up. You bake with them. You add them to tossed salads and even to chicken-fried rice. You name it and you can probably cook or use an egg that way.
In our household we go through about a dozen eggs a week.
After Evie revealed her beautiful self into this world it left me with a belly and body, that, well, to put it nicely is not so beautiful under the help of layers and generic Spanx. It's ok, it's part of it, I didn't expect (after eating my weight in Taco Bell) for my body to just pop back into its original form, but I am working to get it back there. Thanks to some changes in my diet and some moderate exercise I will get there eventually. Part of that new diet is usually a boiled egg in the morning with my oatmeal.
It might sound silly, but I forgot how to boil an egg. I hadn't done it in awhile and I was having a difficult time making the perfect boiled egg. Finally after boiling a couple dozen eggs I now have it down to a science.

To boil your eggs perfectly place them in a pot and cover them with water. Bring your water and eggs to a rolling boil. Immediately place the lid on tightly and remove it from the heat. Let your eggs sit, covered for 10 minutes. This is important! It has to be 10 minutes. No more, and no less. Believe me; I know! It can't be 7, 8, 9, or even 11 minutes. It must be 10 MINUTES! As soon as the 10 minutes are up. Shock the eggs. If you don't know how to shock the eggs (and there is no shame in that) you drain the hot water and cover the eggs with cold water along with a couple of handfuls of ice. Let the eggs sit in the bath of ice water for at least 10 minutes. 10 is the magic number. Don't forget that!

 Then once the eggs have cooled.

Start to peel what will hopefully be the most perfectly, boiled egg.

Add some sea salt. Fingers crossed!

And taste and see the most perfect, boiled egg.

No comments: