Monday, June 27, 2011

Dip, baby, Dip!

Sometimes I crave chips and dip. So sue me! I know it's not healthy, but that salty chip dipped in a cool, zesty ranch dip just hits the spot. Instead of buying that ranch mix pack from the store you can use staples that you probably have on hand to make a fresh and way more delicious ranch dip then you could ever make with that prepackaged kind.
This dip is so easy and so delicious with the help of a surprising ingredient, and of course the help of your favorite store-bought potato chips!

Orange You Glad You Made This Dip

Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk/buttermilk
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp dill, finely chopped or dried
1/4 tsp parsley, finely chopped or dried
1 tbsp chives finely chopped
1/8 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp orange zest
pinch of salt
cracked black pepper to taste

Directions:
In a medium mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Whisk well. Pour in a container and seal tightly for at least 6 hours or overnight. This will help it to thicken and enhance the flavor. Serve with your favorite potato chip and (to make you feel not as guilty) baby carrots. So good!


Measure out your milk. I used skim because that's all I had on hand, and that's ok!
Use what you have.

Don't buy buttermilk just to make this dip. I repeat save your money and time.

Unless you want to use buttermilk, then nobody's stopping you!


Pour milk in your mixing bowl.


Next, add sour cream and mayonnaise.


Then the chives.


Next add your parsley, dill, salt and pepper.

Add your garlic salt. Then the surprise ingredient....


Orange zest!

Yep, you heard right!

This gives the dip a nice, fresh hint of citrusiness (I know, I don't think that's an actual word), but just go with it.

It makes it taste good, ok!


Whisk well.


Until combined.


Pour in a container that can be sealed tightly.


Stick in the fridge at least 6 hours or overnight. Try to resist dipping a chip in it!
It's tough, but you can do it. It will be worth the wait. I promise

Really, I promise! Have I ever steered you wrong?

Well, don't answer that.


In all of the delicious excitement I forgot to take a photo of this dip being served.

Just trust me, serve this up with chips and carrots and it will be gone faster then it took you to make it! It did with us!

Enjoy!

No comments: