- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ears corn, kernels cut off
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 3 to 4 cups leftover chili
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack or monterey jack cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 18-ounce tube precooked polenta, cut into 12 rounds OR corn grits cooked according to package instructions (I used Bob's Red Mill corn grits)
(Use leftover Slow-Cooker Texas Chili.)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the scallions and cook until soft, about 1 minute.
Spread the chili in an 8-inch-square baking dish. Top with half of the cheese followed by half of the corn mixture. Lay the polenta rounds on top, then sprinkle with the remaining corn and cheese.
Bake until the casserole is heated through and the top is golden, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
My arms got a serious work out from this!