Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fingers-Crossed

Another day and another dilemma for the "pennyless" who also happened to be carless for the day; so a trip to the grocery was out of the question. I looked in my pantry and the dilemma was still a dilemma. Nothing was catching my eye or my stomach. In fact it was growling with fury as I scanned furiously about and down searching for ingredients to throw together. Maybe my freezer would speak to me. There are those frozen beef tips that have been sitting there for however long..... Are they still safe to consume? Nervously I quickly grab the meat to investigate any sign of freezer burn. "Pretend like you don't see any!" I tell myself. I don't usually talk to myself like some crazy person, but I was desperate! This was my only option! What can I make with these? That’s why they’ve been sitting in my freezer for so long; come on get the creative juices flowing. Here it goes, fingers crossed, and thanks to my slow-cooker I will just sit back and pray…..

SLOW-COOKER TEXAS CHILI*


Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 pounds beff tips
  • 2 tablspoons light brown sugar
  • 1 cup cooked rice

salt

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 small onion, finely chopped

5 cloves garlic, smashed

2 4.5-ounce cans chopped green chiles, drained

1 tablespoon ground cumin

3/4 cup chili powder

1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes

1 to 2 tbsp hot sauce

Sliced scallions, fresh cilantro and/or sour cream, for topping

Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)

Directions:

Toss the beef with 1 tablespoon each brown sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in batches until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes (do not crowd the pan). Transfer to a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker.Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion to the skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chiles, cumin and chili powder and cook 3 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water and the tomatoes and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low, 7 hours. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and the hot sauce to the chili. Serve over rice with scallions, cilantro and/or sour cream with chips, if desired.

Not only did this dish turn out dilicious (my husband said I need to just throw it together it again, as if it's as easy as that!), but it gave me directions to make a 2nd meal out of it. Stay tuned.


*modified from www.foodtv.com

No comments: