Monday, January 31, 2011

Do you like surprises?

You know how some people like surprises and some people just hate them, or ruin the surprise because they can't wait. Well, I am not one of those people I LOVE surprises. My husband on the other hand is terrified of surprises and almost always ruins them except when it really counted. For my 21st birthday some friends got together and threw me a fantastic party while Matt was out of town at a conference. We went on a scavenger hunt that they had put together for the party, but unto my knowledge my car was the only one actually on the hunt. Everyone else circled there cars back around to the house. So as we went on somewhat of a goose chase all over Bowling Green places like Steak n' Shake and ending at my church there was quite a big surprise waiting for me inside. Another clue and a bunch of happy daisies lying on the ground were beckoning me at the front entrance. The scavenger hunt continued inside the church leading me to the kitchen where Matt & I met for the first time and made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches together. The next clue directed me down the hall towards the sanctuary where four tables were set up decorated with memories from different stages of our relationship, from beginning to end. The last table had a birthday present. I opened it like Simms opened gifts this past Christmas and inside there was an adorable sweatshirt jacket with "Soon to Be Mrs. McDougal" embroidered on the back. My heart pounded, only the inevitable was about to happen, I caught my breath and opened the doors. There was my soon-to-be husband standing in a suite, looking quite handsome (I might add), with a dozen roses and yes a little black box! The stage was covered in candles and one of our favorite hymns was playing throughout the room. He gets on one knee and I barely let him pop the question before I say "Yes!". We head back together to the home of my birthday party, which has now been transformed into an engagement party with a massive ring shaped cake by my friend Rebecca. Then they shower me in wedding magazines and planners! Unforgetable! Now we have this amazing life with our son, who was also a surprise! So just as I said before I absolutely LOVE surprises.
The meal I made Chicken Surprise with chicken, cream, and salsa was yet another surprise that turned out as if I planned it and I assure you I did not! Just like this wonderful life I live God has given us many glorious surprises that He has planned, and we certainly have not. Thankfully we have a God who is never surprised and He always helps us along with those surprises that we jumped at in the dark.
Try this and surprise yourself by the simplicity and knock out flavor!


Chicken Surprise!*

Ingredients:
2-4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
1 cup of heavy cream
1 jar of roasted tomatilla salsa
1 cup of rice cooked

Directions:
Set your slow-cooker to Low heat. Place chicken breasts in the slow-cooker. Cover with cream and salsa. Cover and cook for 7-8 hours. Add rice in the last 10 minutes stir and let the chicken naturally come a part. Mix well. So easy and so good!

*Surprises can end up being a great blessing in your favor if you simply let them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invitied to follow my blog

Cameron said...

YUMMY!! I make a chicken recipe with salsa, brown sugar, and dijon mustard in the slow cooker that is sooo yummy. I will have to try this one out.

Megan McDougal said...

Cameron I'm gonna have to try that! Can u send me the recipe?