Friday, August 14, 2009

Closer to Paris

I didn't "master the art of french cooking" tonight (still don't have my hands on that cookbook), but I did start on my passport for my trip to France. The beginning of my passport was tonight's dinner, which was something you might enjoy in a Parisian cafe; a Croque Monsieur with a side salad and vinaigrette.

A Croque Monsieur is a hot, open-faced sandwich of ham and Swiss cheese with a Dijon bechamel sauce, a sunny-side up egg and fresh thyme. The side salad was a simple mix of greens, but what makes it special is the homemade vinaigrette of olive oil, minced garlic, balsamic vinaigrette, honey mustard, salt, pepper, and the surprise ingredient is a splash of soy sauce.

This meal is also an absolutely perfect lunch, late night snack, or even a late night meal for a casual dinner party, and it is extremely friendly on the bank account. Couldn't we all use some assistance when comes to budget friendly menu planning....I mean how cheap are eggs? This entire meal; Croque Monsieurs and cafe salad cost around about $7 and could easily feed a family of four.

For complete recipes check out www.foodnetwork.com under Rachael Ray and Mellisa d'Arabian.

No comments: