Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dirty, Dirty

Yesterday we celebrated the life of Granny Mac; a woman, that as the pastor described, had a wealthy life that lived out Proverbs 31. We had laid her down to live on that Monday, under the warm sun, where she was surrounded by her wealth. I could have celebrated her life forever with my husband's warm, hilarious family, but today it was back to life, and now a life that is remembering her.
We traveled back home where I would go back to being the stay-at-home mom, and where my husband would go back to working hard at ministry. Along with life back in Louisville is my comfortable spot in the kitchen where I started another meal for my family.
Tonight's meal was something that anyone could easily cook up with, leftovers or whatever you have in your pantry or fridge. I made dirty rice, and it was filling and delicious. I used the leftover roasted chicken that I cooked up last week and browned it in an iron skillet with canola oil, onion, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Rice cooked in chicken broth and and then more vegetables were thrown in the skillet (I happened to have a tomato, green pepper, and jalapeno). I poured in a half cup of white wine and let that cook out. Then the cooked rice was poured in the skillet with 1/4 cup of chicken broth and cooked until rice was browned. Then sprinkle in parsley and oregano. Next thing you'll notice is a clean plate!

Guess what!?!? An incredible sister-in-law and even better friend bought me "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". I will be studying the book the rest of the month and cannot wait to integrate "The Pennyless Cook" and Julia's masterful recipes! Stay tuned for next month's menu....

No comments: