Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Still Yummy

Though I have been studying "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", thanks to my wonderful sister-in-law Mary Lea, I don't plan on cooking from it till next month. So till I begin to try to "master the art of French cooking" as "The Pennyless Cook" I will continue to cook "pennyless" meals till the month is done.
Tonight's meal came from my good friend Emily and here it is....

Stuffed Pepper Explosion


Ingredients:
2 large bell peppers, any color
1 med. onion
1 garlic clove
6 roma tomatos
6 oz ground beef
1 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese


Preheat oven to 350. Chop peppers, onion, garlic and tomatoes. (cut tomatoes in half). Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute beef until mostly cooked through, about 2 mins. Add peppers, onions and garlic. Saute until tender, about 5 mins. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes, rice and half the cheese. Place mixture in a 9-by9-inch baking dish, cover with foil and bake 30 mins. If your skillet is oven safe, you can cover and bake in it. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake uncovered 15 more mins.

serves 4

My version, due to my absentmindedness, left out the rice and for flavor added basil, salt, pepper and hot sauce. After that we placed the meat mixture on buns and served them up as as sandwiches, similar to a Sloppy Joe. Even without the rice this version was still cheap and yummy!

No comments: