Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Mix of Giada and Rahael Ray

Tonight's meal came from the inspiration of Rachael Ray and Giada de Laurentiis. For the main course I did my own take on Rachael Ray's "Lemon-Glazed Roast Chicken" from The Rachael Ray Show. I happened to have in my freezer two large chicken breasts, on the bone*, that I paid $2.32 for at Meijer. I placed those in a roasting pan and covered in salt and pepper. I sliced a lemon, garlic, and onion and put that on top of the chicken. I drizzled on oil and threw in bay leaves. With the oven preheated to 350 degrees I covered the chicken and roasted it for an hour. Than I made a sauce of honey, white wine, and lemon zest which I poured on top of the chicken and roasted for another 15 minutes.
For my side dish, Giada came to my rescue with her "Rigatoni and Vegetable Bolognese". To get her exact recipe check out www.foodnetwork.com.
Both are delicious. The chicken dish is juicy and tender, with the brightness of the lemon. The pasta dish is exceptionally meaty, though no meat is in the dish, and creamy because of the wonderful addition of mascarpone cheese and the nuttiness of the Parmesan.
The pasta would be great as the main course, which is what we will have tomorrow night for dinner with a mixed green salad. Always try to creatively stretch your leftovers into a meal for the next day. Enjoy!

*See: Tips to Eat or Cook By

No comments: