Thursday, August 27, 2009

Richness and Thoughtfulness in Every Bite

Tonight's dinner was an unexpected and extremely thoughtful surprise from a good friend. She brought over chicken stir fry and chocolate chip banana nut bread. The dinner was an incredibly special treat, and the banana bread became the star of the meal. Eating the soft, chewy, rich banana bread reminded me of my momma's and the days where I would smell it baking in the kitchen when I came home from school.
Baking my momma's banana bread always reminds me of my childhood; when I would eat it for a late night snack by warming it up and smothering it in cream cheese.
Whenever you happen to have leftover bananas that are too ripe to eat don't ever throw them away. My momma's recipe will put those bananas to good use. You have got to try this it makes a great breakfast, desert or snack!

Momma's Rich Banana Bread


1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups of bananas smashed (6 fully ripe)
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup sour cream
3 cups four
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients in order listed, mixing after each addition. Beat one minute. Bake in two greased and floured 9x5 loaf pans for 1 hour.

The difference between my momma's banana bread and my friend's is the sour cream that adds to it's richness, but the chocolate chips would be a nice, sweet addition which she uses.

No comments: