Friday, March 11, 2011

Eat My Garbage!

I have been thinking for awhile about gardening and getting one started for this coming summer. Fresh, garden vegetables from my own garden is a dream I've had since I started cooking. I want peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, herbs; I'd love lettuce and strawberries too; maybe even carrots, but I know that's getting pretty ambitious. So just to get me started I made a compost pile in my backyard. I am not a bonified hippie, practically a virgin when it comes to going green, besides recycling, so I started reading a book borrowed from my friend Kristen called Worms Eat My Garbage. Here's my novice attempt at composting (I guess that's a word?). I'll keep you posted on my progress.



That's food scraps I've collected this week.


That's banana peels, onion, onion peels, and I can't remember what else, oh yeah I think that's lemon peel.


Here's the inspirational book. It's pretty entertaining and informative so far.


Entertaining by like showing Gale's coffee-table worm bin that sits in the middle of her sitting room. Hysterical! I'm not going this extreme. My worms will not have their dream home like this; sorry.

No comments: