Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Maewyn Succat Day!

I was talking with a group of my girlfriends today and we were all discussing the purpose of St. Patrick's Day, and nobody really knew except that you were supposed to wear green or you got pinched, and that some people drank the whole day away at Irish Pubs. We also knew that this St. Patrick was a Christian, but that was pretty much the extent of our knowledge. So I read about it today.
St. Patrick's Day is a holiday to honor this dude known as being the patron saint of Ireland. His real name was Maewyn Succat (I'd change my name to St. Patrick too if I was named that!) and he grew up in Scotland or Roman England and then eventually captured by pirates! It keeps getting better! Then he was sold into slavery in Ireland. Imprisoned for 6 years and in prison had visions of God dictating him to escape by-way of a ship. Sounds a little like a movie. He did escape to Britain and then traveled to France and after studying and training for 12 years he became a bishop. He soon set off back to Ireland and converted many pagans to Christianity. It is said that he used the three-leaf shamrock to explain the concept of the Trinity; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. There's my two sense, now let me show you how we celebrated.....with food of course; green food! Praise the Lord, Amen!


"Kiss Me I'm Awesome!"


Add the green food coloring to the white milk.


Mix, mix, mix.


Shamrock green; it's for the mac and cheese.


Mac and cheese, green peas, broccoli, and yep that's green milk; all my favorite color.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was interesting - thanks for the history lesson!