Monday, April 4, 2011

Carrots and Lamb Testicles

So this is my go-to vegetable to bring to any and every potluck-like gathering. One, because it's an easy no fuss dish to bring. Two, because it's ultra cheap. Three, because it's tasty. The dish is my Momma's carrots. I know what you're thinking. Carrots! Come on, that is SO incredibly boring. But these ain't yo momma's carrots; these are MY Momma's carrots and MY Momma ain't yo momma so no judging! Now that that's out there I can continue....
I grew up watching my Momma cook from a distance; she was incredibly particular about cooking in her kitchen. We would sit down for dinner at 5:30 PM promptly as a family every night without fail. When I was in school I could tell you what my friends were having for dinner by what day of the week it was. Like Monday was meatloaf, Tuesday tacos, Wednesday spaghetti, Thursday leftovers, Friday was always pizza; you get the picture.
At my house, however, I couldn't tell you what we were having until my Momma posted that menu for the week. We rarely had the same meal twice (which is what I attribute to my adventurous, yet refined pallet), we always had to try everything placed in front of us (including those lamb testicles that one time; NOT kidding folks!), and we didn't get to ask what it is she has placed in front of us until we have tried it (including those lamb testicles).
When we were dating, Matt, who grew up eating similar to my friends (known as normal) did not know what to do with himself when he sat down to eat with us. I think the first time Momma made him some kind of frittata with a three-cheese mornay sauce. He loved it, don't get me wrong, but it was definitely out of the ordinary for this guy. That was kind of tame meal for me; hence the lamb testicles.
So when I share with you this recipe for my Momma's carrots just hold on tight 'cause even though they are just carrots, they will not taste JUST like carrots when you're done.
Thanks Momma, even for making me eat those testicles.


Momma's Spicy Roasted Carrots




Ingredients:
1 lb bag baby carrots
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Creole seasoned salt (Please use Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning, I'm begging you!)
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour carrots in a large mixing bowl. Toss with olive oil, butter, and seasoned salt. Spread out evenly on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-45 minutes.


Here's the chorus line.


Pour on the olive oil.


Then the melted butter.


And introducing for the first time with carrots....


Tony's Original Creole Seasoning!

This stuff (like it says on the label) is so good on practically everything. We use it on chicken, pork chops, and pasta just to name a few.


Toss together.


Roast to perfection. So good!

Nothing like those lamb testicles.

No comments: