Monday, April 18, 2011

Salsa for the Wimpy at Heart

With my on-going Mexican addiction (I'm seeking therapy I swear!) I was craving chips and salsa and really didn't have the right ingredients to make my favorite Restaurant Style Salsa; so you know me, I improvised, the "Pennyless" way of course.
Welcome to my Black Bean and Corn Salsa extravaganza! You'll love it! It's easy, full of flavor and mild enough even for your wimpiest guests or kiddos, plus it's healthy! Pretty much a win, win!

Pennyless Black Bean and Corn Salsa




Ingredients:
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Rotel
1 can white corn, rinsed and drained
1 tsp ground cumin
1 pinch of cayenne pepper (only if you can handle it!)
1 red onion, finely chopped.
1/2 lemon or lime freshly squeezed
salt and pepper

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Cover and chill for about an hour. Serve with tortilla chips. Told you it was easy!
Also works well as a relish.





Here's the chorus line. The lemon and salt and pepper are tardy.


Rinse the beans good.

I don't know the science behind it; just know you need to. So no grumbling, it has to be done.



Same thing with the corn.



Tear, sniff*, tear, sniff*



Add the can of Rotel. Love this stuff.

I always try to have it in my pantry.

Stock up on it when there's a sale.



Add lemon juice.

I would prefer lime, but this is all I had.



Salt and pepper it.



Add the cumin.



ONLY if you can handle it, add a pinch of Cayenne.



Mix, mix, mix.



Cover and chill for about an hour; if you can wait that long!



Ain't it purty?



And it's yummy!




2 comments:

Sarah said...

my "wimpy at heart" opinion is that it was still spicy... i had to eat just a tiny bit of salsa with a big bite of chips and potato

Ishita S. said...

Given that I dislike guacamole, I'm always on the lookout for a good salsa. I love the corn and black bean combo, so this looks perfect! I'll definitely be making it for my next movie night.

By the way, have you tried adding mangoes to your salsa? They add a nice sweet-tart flavor to the corn-black bean combo (with a touch of cumin -- I can't resist!)

Here's a recipe -- I can't get enough of it! http://www.bitesoutoflife.com/2010/08/18/mango-sal-salad/