Monday, May 14, 2012

The Power of a Praying Mother

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7 NLT).

I have been trying all day to think of something clever or sweet to write about Mother's Day, but all I keep thinking about is the power of prayer as a mother, and really as a wife; and to get really general, a daughter in Christ. At church we are currently going through the book of Philippians on Sunday mornings, and yesterday Pastor Jason preached on Chapter 4. Reading through that chapter again today a couple verses resonated with me. As a mother and a wife I tend to worry. As soon as life came with more responsibility; so did worry for me. There are days I worry about our finances. Some days I worry about our health as a family. Other days I worry about my children. Then there are days I worry about relationships. There are times I even worry about the state of our house. I also worry sometimes about our spiritual lives. You name it I have probably worried about it the past several years. But worry only comes when it is allowed to. When my heart and mind is not focused on Christ then worry has freedom to enter. My mind becomes filled with lies and is blinded to the reality of the situation. If I do what Paul says in this letter to the Church; that is when my mind is able to see the truth.
Paul gives us clear direction on what we need to do when worry comes....

1. Don't worry about anything
2. Pray about everything
3. Tell God what I need
4. Thank Him for what He has done

Paul says once I do this that peace will come, and it will guard my heart and my mind from that worry.
Mother's Day for me yesterday was great in the sense I felt spoiled by my husband, but it wasn't all hearts and butterflies (if that makes sense). I was convicted, on a lot of levels, on the state of my prayer life and how I tend to dwell on whatever worry comes into the forefront of my mind, and not directly pray about it. Today God reminded me of that when I started worrying today. I began, instead of getting deeper and deeper in my worry, to tell God what I needed in that moment and thanking Him for what all He had done for me. I know to do this, but tend to forget, and instead let worry just eat my mind away. But when I actually stop, take a deep breath, and pray; peace really does come, my mind is refocused on the Peacemaker and the truth of reality comes into focus.
When Evie is crying at the top of her lungs; I pray and Peace comes and causes her to calm down. When Simms is not obeying; I pray and realize how to best parent him in that particular situation. There is great power in a praying mother. There is great power in prayer. That power is not in the act of praying, but comes by the power of the Holy Spirit working in and through prayer that is caused by His power.
Hope you had a powerful Mother's Day; much like I did.

No comments: