Tuesday, May 15, 2012

This is what's for breakfast....

I've been trying to lose my post-baby weight and get healthified; so my breakfast this morning is a fruit-filled, protein packed smoothie. We call it "The Barney" around our house. It's so simple, fresh, tasty, and less than half the price of those five dollar smoothies that I can buy at Whole Foods or Starbucks.

Get out your blender. Add one cup of frozen berries. I usually have a large bag mixed with strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries waiting in my freezer.


Then add one whole banana, peeled.


Next, add a cup of Acai juice. Acai juice is made out of pure Acai berries that have been juiced, of course. You can usually find it in the organic juice section of your grocery, or next to the orange juice. It's a little pricey, but you can also substitute Acai juice for real orange or apple juice. It must be REAL though (not from concentrate), or you might as well pour in a soda instead.


Add a tablespoon of soy protein powder. If you don't have this on hand you could substitute the powder for a half cup of yogurt. Oikos greek yogurt, plain or vanilla, is my favorite.


Blend.



 Pour.


 Breakfast is served. Yum! It's the perfect way to start your day.










2 comments:

Bonnie said...

ooo! That looks good and thanks for the tips on the acai berry juice. I would have never known it and sugarfied myself.

Megan McDougal said...

No prob!