Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Sweet Obsession

I have been living in regret ever since my most recent trip to Trader Joe's Let me explain....

As I trotted down aisle after aisle, bribing my son to stay in the cart, all of sudden, out of the corner of my eye I caught a subtle glow. Sitting on a shelf was something so fabulously stupendous I wish I had thought of it myself. So simple, yet so outrageous my heart started pounding, and I had to slyly wipe the drool from the corner of my mouth. As I went to reach for the jar to examine the label; it was as if the peanut butter, lined neatly next to it, were all bowing down in reverence. I had never seen anything like it. The label read in all of it's glory....

Sounds amazing, but what would I do with it except inhale it in one sitting with a spoon? That would be crazy! 

Then I read....


I make sure no one is looking and I quickly wipe the drool off my chin now. Are you kidding me?!?! This is too good to be true. There is a war going on inside of me....I want to buy this, but really should I? I have baby weight I still want to lose....Oh well, how is this going to hurt? I may not even like it...I don't have a major sweet tooth as it is....I can handle it.

I check out and the guy scanned my Cookie Butter and said, "Whoever told you about this you are going to hate for the rest of your life because you will never be able give this stuff up!"

I think, well....I'm sure it's good, but I'm strong enough to say no. I won't have to always buy it.

On the drive home all I can think about is that stupid Cookie Butter. It's already happening! I want to spoon it on top of that French Vanilla ice cream right now! I start gritting my teeth and under my breath I say, "Matt hurry up and get home!" 

Oh no! It's already starting....I can fight this!

As soon as we pull in I run the groceries inside. I searched frantically for the jar through the paper bags; I twist the lid off as soon as I find it, and it was as if I heard a chorus of angels singing in the distance....the aroma overtook me as I breathed in!

I couldn't help myself; I did what I swore I would not do! The craziness took over; I grabbed a spoon and scooped out a huge hunk of the goodness.

I took a bite and felt my taste buds literally leap in joyous surprise! I felt a shock run through my throat as I gasped for air. They had never tasted anything like it before, and they begged me for more. I quickly got out a tub of vanilla ice cream, scooped it out in my favorite bowl, and heaped a pile of the Cookie Butter on top. 

Oh my goodness! Now I will never be able to turn back from this!

The next day I had to have more! I scooped it on every bite of my banana, trying to convince myself at least I was eating it with fruit. The same thing happened the next day. Then I surrendered, got a spoon out, and ate straight from the jar. The next thing I know....


As I stare at the empty jar with disbelief, a tear started to form in my eye. I couldn't believe what had happened! Right when I was about to stash the embarrassing remains; Matt walked in! I was caught....red-handed! There was nothing I could do, but drop the jar and put my hands up in the air, confess, and then ask him to get me another jar when he's on that end of town....

Only so he could try it this time, of course....

No comments: