Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bring the Funk

I have a guilty pleasure....I hate to admit it....but....I watch Oprah. Really I switch back and forth between Oprah and Ellen, but still I watch it. The other day I was watching her show and saw chef Jamie Oliver. He was making what he calls Funky Spaghetti.
I made it for dinner tonight, and it totally brought the funk. It's a great way to use up the last of your tomatoes from your garden or from your neighbor's garden, and the only cooking that has to be done is to the pasta.
His recipe calls for spaghetti, a bunch of cherry tomatoes cut in half, 6 splashes of olive oil, salt, pepper, basil and marjoram. I cut up steak tomatoes that I had, and used basil and thyme instead. After the pasta cooks, simply toss all the ingredients in the spaghetti and smash some of the tomatoes to make a very light, translucent sauce. This simple, healthy, and inexpensive dish was to surprisingly flavorful. We topped it with Parmesan and all had seconds, including my two-year-old!
Check out www.oprah.com for the actual recipe, but I think you could toss pretty much anything in this spaghetti and it would be good. Try it out, it's perfect for the busiest of days.

No comments: