Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Night Made of Memories

Date night.....dinner, thanks to an Olive Garden gift card, $5 movie night at Tinseltown, and a dear friend who babysat. Couldn't have asked for a better night with my husband, good food and laughs; sometimes I wish nights like that could last for ever.
While we were eating at Olive Garden I couldn't help, but think of ways to recreate some of their recipes, and that made me think about one of their dinners that I recreated for my family years ago. It's a favorite and extremely inexpensive.
Their Capellinie pasta in an olive oil sauce with fresh basil and diced tomatoes is on their menu as a lighter item and one the waitress had suggested as a healthy favorite. My version is made with whole wheat spaghetti. Garlic and onion are sauteed in olive oil and a can of diced tomatoes is added. Then spices like oregano and basil are added. Let simmer, covered for 10-15 minutes. Toss in spaghetti, add a drizzle of olive oil, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. It is fresh and simple, yet filling and flavorful. Bring restaurant quality to your home for less than half the cost.

No comments: