Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Creativity Doesn't Always Mean Yummy

It was just grilled pimento cheese sandwiches and homemade tomato soup on tonight's menu. I mean, remember this is The Pennyless Cook, not The Gourmet Cook so we had an inexpensive, simple, and filling meal.
To make really delicious tomato soup the key is having fresh, canned tomato juice*. Simply bring two jars to a boil, add two cups of milk, a stick of butter, a little salt, and when the soup is at a rolling boil a pinch of cornstarch so the milk doesn't curdle. Next, bring the soup to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
The pimento cheese is from the well-known southern lady Mrs. Paula Deen. Check out www.foodnetwork.com for her recipe, but make sure to not over mix; I made that mistake and broke down the cheese a little too much and had to add some more grated cheddar cheese at the end.
I then used the pimento cheese to make grilled sandwiches. Grilling it, of course, melted the cheese and made it really rich and creamy. Honestly, I was trying to be creative, but I really didn't like the taste because it was warm and the texture was odd. Oh well, I wouldn't have known if I hadn't tried, but it was delicious cold and on a cracker with the hot tomato soup. It ended up being a great dinner, minus the extra effort of grilling the pimento cheese.
We rushed to Bible Study after dinner and when I excitedly arrived back home I plopped myself in front of the television to the premier event of the new show Glee, which I am obsessed with already, and some tortilla chips and homemade salsa and homemade jalapeno cheese dip. The perfect ending to my busy, but fulfilling day!

*See: Tips to Eat or Cook By

No comments: