Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Eat the Pennyless Way

I made chili and macaroni cheese for tonight's entree. The combination may sound kind of scary, but if you think about it they're actually a perfect compliment of each other.
Now this chili was made the "Pennyless" way. I had some left over hamburgers* that I chopped up finely and let them saute in oil with onion, garlic, and green pepper. I added two cans of chili beans, tomato juice, and one diced tomato. Then the spices were added; salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and oregano. This was brought to a boil and then left to simmer for 30 minutes. While simmering I prepared the macaroni and cheese. I had Rigatoni noodles in my pantry so I let those boil as I prepared the cheese sauce which was 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups of cream, 2 tablespoons of butter and salt and pepper all whisked together. I then added 1 1/2 cups of cheese and mixed it in the mixture. The noodles were then placed in a greased casserole dish with the sauce poured over the noodles. The last 1/2 cup of cheese was then spread on top to cover the casserole. Paprika was then sprinkled on top for color. The macaroni and cheese was baked on 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
Place a pile of macaroni on a plate, top with the spicy chili and there you have Pennyless Macaroni with Chili. The perfect combination of cheesy, creamy and spice.....delicioso!

*The hamburgers were reused and nobody knew the difference; plates were delightfully cleaned and tummies were full in the McDougal household tonight!

1 comment:

Sabrina Pate said...

Hey girl, i stumbled upon this site and thought of you. I thought you might like to check it out:

http://www.greatcookscommunity.com/